Jun 17, 2012

The golden age of the Pharaohs

 It's Father's day today. What did you do for your fathers? I didn't do anything special for my dad but my parents and I went to the museum. We've been wanting to see this exhibition since it was announced to come to Japan.


 The exhibition is about Egypt, mainly Tutankhamun. They display treasures that were found at the tomb of Tutankhamun and other remains. It was a great opportunity to see those treasures because not many people have the chance to go to Egypt, where this exhibit is originally held. Maybe I can go there someday but not anytime soon, so going to the exhibition is like cherry-picking the good points of traveling.

 When we arrived at the museum, we were glad to see that there were not so many people, even when it's a weekend. We then proceeded to purchase tickets. Ticket price on weekends costs 2800 yen. Expensive! But I can understand since these treasures are incredibly invaluable. We entered the museum and we were given numbered tickets that indicated we can enter the museum at 1:20. It was 12:30 in my watch so we decided to have lunch first.
 After lunch, we headed to the museum again and saw a lot of people waiting in line! We also had to wait for another 20mins until we could finally get inside. The inside of the museum was so packed that I couldn't reach the showpieces easily. The way they are displayed were not right. The rooms weren't big enough so we couldn't walk smoothly. However, the showpieces were extremely amazing and gorgeous! I have no clue how the ancient egyptian made those stuff!! Engraving was pretty much fine and precise.

 Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take pictures inside (even using a phone!) so I got some photos of the treasures I saw at the museum.

 The coffin of Tjuya. This golden coffin was insanely beautiful. I think Tjuya is King Tut's grandma.


 Canopic coffinette of King Tut. His innards were placed  in this small coffin when he died. This was also superb. You can also see an engraving of a man with wings inside the coffinette.


 This necklace and the dagger were found inside the tomb. They are made of gold.


  Scarab is a holy insect in ancient Egypt, which is a symbol of reincarnation and re surrection.


 It took us 30mins to look around. Actually, I was looking forward to the mask of King Tut but it wasn't there. Is it in the museum in Egypt or in England??

The museum is next to Kaiyukan, an aquarium in Osaka. I didn't visit there today but this is good place too.

No comments:

Post a Comment