Jun 8, 2012

Nama fever

 When Japanese says "nama" for food, it means raw, fresh or soft. Nama chocolate is a good example. It means ganache which contains fresh cream. Ever since nama chocolate came to the market, lots of "nama" products have been released like nama caramel, nama pudding, nama donuts etc. There is also nama beer which means draft beer.

 It was maybe last year I saw one nama product named "nama ramune." Ramune is basically a lemonade but Japanese couldn't pronounce it properly so they came up with the word "ramune." Then a snack company made a tablet which tastes like lemonade and named it "ramune" as well. So what is nama ramune then? I've been so curious but never got a chance to eat it. What I know about it is that it is totally a new texture. I heard it's gummy and melts in your mouth...so I bought it and tried it on my way back home.

This is the product.



 When I tossed it into my mouth, I found it not good actually. Precisely, it tasted too sweet and its texture was like a gelatine which is soaked for 10mins or something. It was definitely new...but in a bad way for me.  The package says it'll have a different texture if it's frozen so I put it in a freezer. I took it out after dinner and ate it again. Hmmm, yeah it was different but still not so good. Hahahaha. I won't buy it again!!
 I still prefer the tablet ramune, which not only tastes good but also is good for health. Actually the nama ramune has the same ingredient; glucose. It is said glucose helps to boost proper brain function unlike sucrose. It also helps in alleviating hunger, tiredness and hangover as it is a major source of energy for the body. Moreover, it's low in calorie so it is also good for diet.

 Here is the original ramune I used to eat when I worked in the office.

 it's been around since 1973. It's sometimes better to stick with the oldies.

No comments:

Post a Comment